MicroStation CONNECT Edition – The top five things you need to know
Written by: Rod Wing
Here at EnvisionCAD we were all excited when MicroStation CONNECT Edition was released. We had been testing the technology preview releases, but seeing the general release got the inner geeks in us into overdrive.
When you go to the SELECT Fulfillment Center to download MicroStation CONNECT your first indication that this is a significant upgrade is that the MicroStation version number has jumped from v08.09.11 to v10.0.0 . While the MicroStation V8 file format remains the same, a lot of other things definitely have not. Before you decide to take the plunge for yourself we’ve listed the top five things you need to know before installing MicroStation CONNECT Edition.
1. MicroStation CONNECT Edition is only available for 64-bit operating systems
- Windows 7 and above
2. Workspace configurations will have to be redone
- The Interface setting has been removed
- The USER configuration level remains, but users can no longer select between multiple User configurations
- The PROJECT configuration level has been replaced by WORKSET
- The SITE configuration level has been replaced by ORGANIZATION
- WORKSPACE and ROLE configuration levels have been added
3. Custom add-on macros and applications
- MicroStation BASIC macros will no longer function and have to be rewritten in another supported language
- MDL and Native code applications will have to be recompiled
- VBA applications will still function, but may require some modification
- Updates to the MicroStation-based vertical applications (GEOPAK, InRoads, Descartes, Map, etc.) will be required to function with MicroStation CONNECT
4. Task menus have been replaced with a Ribbon-style interface.
- Custom toolboxes and pull-down menus can be moved to display on the ribbon
- Positional keyboard mapping shortcuts have been replaced by a new pop-up menu
- AccuDraw shortcuts are integrated into Home position – no more worry about which dialog has focus
- Users will need training to become familiar with the new interface
5. Tag Elements are no more
- Tag Elements have been replaced by Item Types
- Tag Reports have been replaced with a new Report tool
Make no mistake, the upgrade to MicroStation CONNECT Edition will be a major undertaking for your organization.
You don’t have to tackle this alone. Whether it’s workspace configurations, custom add-on application development, custom menus, user training, or other assistance – WE CAN HELP! CONTACT US when you start planning your upgrade to make this as smooth a transition as possible.