It’s been two years since Bentley announced the end of SELECTserver.
Now, January 1, 2021 is only a few short weeks away. The clock is about to strike midnight on SELECTserver.
Since Bentley’s original announcement things have changed a bit. As of January 1, SELECTServer will still be available. The caveat is that you will be charged, like a license overage, for any product that uses SELECTServer after that date. You will not need to transition to node-locked licenses to continue to use these older products.
If you’re still running V8i version applications that use SELECTserver licensing (any version prior to V8i SS10):
- Move to the CONNECT Edition products if you can.
- If you can’t make the jump to the CONNECT Edition yet, upgrade your older V8i applications to V8i SS10
- The V8i SS10 versions of applications are the same as their V8i SS4 counterparts, but utilize the CONNECT licensing. This allows you to stay on V8i, but not get charged for using SELECTserver.
- Upgrading MicroStation V8i SS2, SS3, or SS4 is a very easy transition as the SS10 interface remains the same as do all of your workspace configurations.
- If you are running V8i SS4 or V8i SS3 versions of the civil applications move to the V8i SS10 versions of applications if you are not ready for CONNECT, or have jobs to complete in the older software. All of your OpenRoads V8i SS3/SS4 resource definitions will transfer directly to V8i SS10.
- If you are running the V8i SS2 versions of the civil products, moving to V8i SS10 does not make much sense as it is a significant upgrade. You will then have another significant upgrade to get to CONNECT.
- You would be best served going straight from V8i SS2 to CONNECT and paying the extra SELECTserver fees until you can cut your ties to V8i SS2.
Support for all pre-V8i SS10 products will end at the end of this year, V8i SS10 support ends January 1, 2021.
You can still continue to use any of these older applications. Bentley has not issued a new sunset date for SELECTserver, but it would be wise to get off of the pre-V8i SS10 applications as soon as possible. Contact EnvisionCAD to help you through this transition, we can aide you wherever necessary. From user and CAD manager training to developing the Configuration to rewriting custom applications and updating OpenRoads standards; we have the expertise you need to get your organization up and running on the CONNECT Edition products.