The more we talk to our clients, and other Bentley users, it has become crystal clear that many users and organizations are very confused by the terms and versions attached to the various Bentley products. In an attempt to make sense of it all we have put together the following list of products, versions, and associated terminology.
- Subscription Entitlement Service (SES) – This is the new name for CONNECT Licensing. SES is replacing SELECTserver as the method for managing your Bentley product licenses. Each user must have a Bentley username and password. Users must log into the CONNECTION Client application prior to accessing an application. SES is the licensing method starting with MicroStation CONNECT Update 11, and in all of the SS10 releases.
- Software Entitlements – The new name for software licenses. Under SES when utilizing the software you no longer check out a license, you are granted a Software Entitlement.
- OpenRoads – OpenRoads by itself is not a product, it is a technology. Starting with the SS3 release both GEOPAK and InRoads transitioned to OpenRoads technology. Many people refer to the SS3 and SS4 versions of both products as OpenRoads. Files created in the SS3 and SS4 versions cannot be used in the SS2 release.
- OpenRoads Designer (ORD) – In the CONNECT Edition GEOPAK and InRoads have been combined into a product called OpenRoads Designer. There is no more InRoads or GEOPAK. ORD comes bundled with MicroStation much like the previous Power GEOPAK and Power InRoads products. There is no stand-alone ORD product that you can install on top of an existing installation of MicroStation CONNECT. Files created in ORD cannot be used in previous versions of GEOPAK or InRoads.
- SELECTseries 10 (SS10) – All SS10 applications are still V8i edition products. They are the same as their previous SS4 versions with the exception of the licensing. All SS10 applications utilize the new Subscription Entitlement Service instead of SELECTserver.
- Version 10 – Version 10 denotes CONNECT Edition. All CONNECT Edition products are version 10.x.
- OpenCities Map – The new name for Bentley Map CONNECT Edition. Bentley Map is not included with OpenRoads Designer, as it was in the SELECTseries versions of GEOPAK and InRoads.
- January 1, 2020 – As of this date, all SS4 version applications (and previous releases) will no longer be supported by Bentley.
- January 1, 2021 – As of this date, all SS10 version applications will no longer be supported by Bentley.
EnvisionCAD can help you make sense of it all and unlock your unrealized productivity gains. See how today.