MicroStation V8i has the added functionality to connect to a live Web Map Server (WMS). WMS is a standard for serving georeferenced map images over the internet that are generated from GIS databases. There are a list of free or demo WMS connections delivered with MicroStation that will allow you to quickly get started with this new capability.
Connect to a Web Map Server
- Open the Raster Reference dialog.
- From the Raster Reference dialog select the drop down arrow for new connection and select WMS. The WMS Map Editor dialog will appear.
- From the WMS Map Editor dialog the Servers button. The Servers Manager dialog will appear.
- Select the Terraservice.net connection. <D> the OK button the Servers Manager dialog will close and will populate the WMS Map Editor dialog.
- Select the USGS Digital Ortho-Quadrangles layer and <D> the Add to map button. The Layer will be added to the Map Layers section of the dialog.
- Then <D> the Save and Attach button. The New WMS file dialog will appear.
- Save the new XWMS file and Attach the file. Now the DOQ will overlay your design.
Note: If the DOQ is not placed at the correct location right click the WMS file name and change the coordinate system so the DGN file and WMS file coordinates match.
See all of our MicroStation tips on this YouTube playlist.