In MicroStation V8i the ability to link elements to files, folders, keyins, and websites is handled through the Project Explorer dialog. By linking supporting data such as existing photos and details to your design you are maximizing your design. In the following example we have a culvert replacement, there are photos and details that will be linked to the elements in the design file.
Create a New Link Set
- From the MicroStation pull down menu File > Project Explorer. The Project Explorer dialog will appear.
- Click the Browse button (magnifying glass). The Link Sets dialog will appear.
- From the drop down list select Active File.
- Click the New button in the Link Set dialog.
- Type the new Link Set Name. Click the OK button to create the link set. Close the Link Sets dialog.
Define Project Explorer
- If desired create new Folders in the Project Explorer dialog to organize the Details, Drawings, and Photos.
- Drag and Drop desired files from Windows Explorer to the MicroStation Project Explorer.
Add Link to Element
- From the Project Explorer dialog Right Click the file and select Add Link to Element. Then Select and Accept the existing culvert from the topo file.
- Now the JPEG has been linked to the element. Right Click on the culvert element in the design file and select Follow Link > culvert.jpg. The JPEG will open in MicroStation as read only for viewing.
- Additionally the PDF details could be linked to the proposed culvert.
See all of our MicroStation tips on this YouTube playlist.